Pages

Monday, January 23, 2017

Music on Monday: Tennis Edition


Music on Monday is a weekly series featuring music that connects with the current events of my life in some way and that might be interesting to those who would like to learn more about classical music.

I've enjoyed watching the Australian Open over the weekend, and I'm especially excited that my favorite tennis player, Roger Federer, has made it into the quarter-finals. So, in honor of the AO, today's music is tennis-related.

Believe it or not, there are actually several pieces of classical music that are related to tennis in some way, but my favorite one to listen to is by a relatively unknown Swedish composer. Wilhelm Peterson-Berger (d. 1945) is remembered for a few symphonies, operas, and some romantic piano pieces. Included in his 1896 collection Flowers from Frösö Island is a short piano piece called "Lawn Tennis."

The piano score is available at IMSLP, and seriously, how cool is the typography on this title page? I think I'll be playing this soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment