Pages

Monday, January 16, 2017

Music on Monday: All Nature Sings

Music on Monday is a weekly series featuring music that connects with the current events of my life in some way and that might be interesting to those who would like to learn more about classical music.

To all of my friends living in the frozen north, I'm sorry to gloat, but this is what Saturday looked like for hubby and me here in Georgia. Or better, this is what it sounded like. Paddles dipping in the water, turtles sliding off logs with a splop, and birds calling across the branch. Turn up your sound! I'll try to take my good camera and get a better video next time we're out.



I think that when the time comes for my funeral one of these days, I'd prefer for everyone to gather outside somewhere. Just take a chair outside and sit. No music, no eulogy. Just listen.

Composer Olivier Messiaen was a fascinating figure (do read more about him), and he was himself fascinated with birdsong. He composed a number of works incorporating the sounds of birds as accurately as possible. In 1958, he wrote a monumental work for solo piano called Catalogue d'Oiseaux, or Catalogue of Birds. Each of the 13 pieces depicts the song of a specific bird from a specific region of France.
My faith is the grand drama of my life. I'm a believer, so I sing words of God to those who have no faith. I give bird songs to those who dwell in cities and have never heard them, make rhythms for those who know only military marches or jazz, and paint colors for those who see none. ~Olivier Messiaen
Here is the short-toed lark.



Photo by Benjamin Bal√°zs



 

No comments:

Post a Comment